Sunday 1 May 2011

Story telling Sunday

This is my first venture into Story telling Sunday, started by the wonderful Sian, who would be at home on Jackanory reading to us all. Her story telling skills are now famous, with many others joining in via her blog each month with some fabulous fables and tall true tales. I hope I live up to the task in hand as I always love to follow as others narrate monthly on their blogs.



I would like to introduce the Magpie

source


This is a very common bird, with a very annoying cry, that is not popular or well liked as it is known for taking food (often baby birds from the nest) from others. The other reputation the Magpie has is for stealing bright, glistening objects like jewelry and small trinkets.


Now the Magpie I want to introdce you to is not of the feathered variety! Many years ago there were 2 sisters a brunette and a blonde. The blonde loved pretty things and was rather pretty herself, loving to gaze upon her beauty in a small hand held mirror. Her elder and somewhat plainer sister, was rather jealous I believe.


One day this envy enveloped her whole being and she stole away her sisters beloved mirror and hid it in the shed within their garden. The blonde sister was very sad and the whole family searched the house for the mirror to no avail until eventually the older sister confessed... she had seen a magpie steal the mirror and carry it in it's beak to the shed. The family searched the shed but the mirror was never ever found.


The elder sister was surprised that her parents never totally believed that the Magpie had flown into the house, into the younger sister's bedroom, found the mirror, lifting it in it's beak, whilst flying out the house and heading for the garden shed



source


Another item went missing sometime later ..... did the Magpie strike again or was it someone all together more sinister??? Please tune in next month for the Tale of the Magpie part 2.


In the meantime pop over to Sians to see what everyone has written about this month.

25 comments:

  1. Ooh, a serial! Now that's an idea I love and you have me wanting more already (which is of course the sign of a great story). We have a big magpie in our garden, and I will be watching him and thinking of your story all month now..

    Thank you for joining Storytelling Sunday. Welcome aboard - we are delighted to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhhmmmm, that is a mighty strong magpie :D looking forward to the next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting tale.....definately looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - more to come in a serial!! love your magpie tale and am looking forward to part 2. J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a real superstition about seeing one magpie on its own, have to salute it and say 'Good morning Mr Magpie'. It amuses the family no end but it's something I feel I have to do. Kind of annoying as Magpies are nesting in the garden of the house opposite and are forever on my lawn. Lots of saluting going on here! Looking forward to the next installment of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the magpie tale - looking forward to part 2! Like debs14 I am also very superstitious about magpies and have to say 'Good morning Mr Magpie how's you wife and children' three times each time I see one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, great way of telling this - although mean to leave us in suspense for part two. Fab story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I intended to be back anyway, but you've added an extra incentive. Looking forward to the next installment of your (fairy?) tale...hope it's a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this story, looking forward to the next installment. Will we get to find out the identity of the magpie?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's clever - how long can I keep holding on to these tenterhooks?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW - a cliffhanger - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to say - TFS about Kenneth Williams' blue feet :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh - we've got to wait a month to find out what happens Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is striking me about this story today is how different our Magpies look to yours - I must post a pic one day as a comparison - they are larger and do not have long jeweled tails.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an intriguing story . . . looking forward to what comes next! Thanks for joining the story circle.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the way you are holding us in suspense for next month! Great story & thanks for visiting my blog & leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun story - can't wait to read part 2 next month!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, wonderful stuff! That was a pretty tough magpie - no wonder the Brunette's parents were a bit dubious about that story...
    And a cliff-hanger too... Now that's clever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the magpie story and can't wait until next month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting, it is getting that time for cliff hangers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing like a good magpie story! I remember how my grandpa would yell at them to scare them away:) Thanks for your recent comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh a cliffhanger! And sisterly suspicions, no doubt will play into this - can't wait till next month.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your story and how clever to leave us wanting more! I have to confess to shouting at the magpie that bothers the blackbirds in my garden!
    Does anyone else always say the rhyme when they see a Maggpie?
    one for sorrow two for joy... I drive myself nuts with it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the cliffhanger at the end of your story, now I need to know the next part!

    It's funny what you think your parents will believe when you are young isn't it? My daughter is 3 now and she keeps running in from a different room to say 'I didn't throw the ball inside mummy' or something else forbidden, which immediately means I know she has done that thing, when I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise! Ah, she'll learn! x

    ReplyDelete